you see, this summer, while on maternity leave, i made a concerted effort to never find myself in the position of being stuck with bad daytime TV (or, potentially only infomercials in the wee hours), so i proactively DVR’ed the Martha Stewart Show to stockpile and view in those idle moments.
say what you will about Her Martha-ness… pre-babe, i was not so much a fan, but now, i would say i am definitely in awe of her skillz.
through a series of events, i noticed this recipe which i will copy for you here:
Makes 2 quarts
* 1 pound rolled oats
* 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (or sweetened, if you prefer)
* 1/2 cup slivered almonds
* 1/4 cup sesame seeds
* 1/2 cup wheat germ
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1/2 cup safflower oil
* 1/2 cup honey
* 1/3 cup water
* 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup golden raisins
* 1/2 cup dried cranberries, blueberries, or other dried chopped fruit
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the oats, coconut, almonds, sesame seeds, wheat germ, and salt. Separately whisk together the oil, honey, water, and vanilla; stir it into the oat mixture.
3. Spread the granola on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until golden brown. Stir after 10 minutes and again after 30 more minutes. Remove from the oven and toss with the raisins and cranberries. Cool completely and store in an airtight container. Serve with sliced bananas or berries and milk or plain yogurt.
Well in our house, i make two batches. mine nixes the coconut and adds all sorts of dried berries. i have also tried adding sunflower seeds. i really enjoy it for breakfast in milk. i need to get me some Greek yogurt and try my own parfait.
AJ’s batch does not include coconut, only because i do not allow it in the house, but he also requests no nuts nor berries. As a non-milk drinker, he enjoys it with some mini chocolate chips.
we are down to the last crumbs of each batch, so this will be something I plan to make this weekend.
maybe you’ll be inspired to do the same!